This Course is about using the techniques of pattern making, (also known as pattern drafting), in fashion design, to create patterns that will then be used to cut fabric and ultimately be sewn into garments. Methods and techniques are demonstrated in a clear and simple visual so that anyone interested in learning about fashion design can, and will learn the foundational principles of fashion design. New terminology is clearly explained and applied to the subject matter.
As a fashion designer, Pattern Making is essential in learning how garments are created and put together. A good fashion designer must learn Pattern Making in order to really understand the construction of his/her designs.
VIDEOS + DEMOS: In this course you will learn:
- Basic Principles of pattern-making such as Dart Manipulation and Added Fullness.
- You will learn techniques such as Pivoting and Slash-and-Spread.
- New terminology such as Slopers and Blocks and Darts, Pleats, Tucks, Yokes, Princess Seams, Shirring, Apex, Notches, Seam Allowance.
- Where patterns come from: draping muslin bodice on dress form.
- Drafting Princess Seams.
- Drafting an A-Line skirt.
- Drafting Skirt Yokes and adding fullness to skirt.
Grainlines and Pattern Labeling.
- Trueing Darts.
Tools necessary for drafting patterns.